Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good Day

Today was a good day. It made me happy to be a window cleaner, or rather, a window cleaning company owner operator.
I was spurred to reliving some memories that made me momentarily forget all the annoyances of business ownership these days - too many bills/ too few receipts - mind numbingly, bone jarringly stupid decisions made by management (ok, me).
I went to a home today and was having a really pleasant conversation with the home owner, a gentleman that I had never met before. We shared a hobby interest and our conversation sprang from there. I asked him what he did before he retired. Well, he played pro football for at least 2 teams, administered a well known boxer's career and then had a successful career himself at HBO. This wasn't someone that was living in a posh part of town, just a normal place where anyone would have lived happily.
I have been in the home of the Captain of the local hockey team. I have been in our Premier's home. I have been in the studio of a well known children's book illustrator. I have ridden on top of an elevator to clean the interior of a glass elevator shaft. I have leaned over the side of a building, using a tucker pole upside down to reach what was unreachable from the ground (Hmm have I ever told my wife about that one? It was never repeated).
The thing that topped them all was entering a home to find that this was the home of the man that created, wrote, directed and voiced my all time favourite tv show from when I was a kid. Hammy Hamster.
I love talking to my clients. They are captains of industry and soccer moms. Teachers and car mechanics. Brand new parents and experienced grand parents. Every one of them has a story. most are pretty cool to hear.
Tomorrow, I will make more of those ridiculously foolish decisions that have become my hallmark. Today they didn't matter in the least.

No comments: